Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Please PRAY for YWAM and the Murray Family

Dear Friends,

As I write this, tears are filling my eyes. I am sure that by now you have heard about the tragedy that happened at Youth With A Mission in Colorado this week.

Four young people, who have committed their lives to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, and salvation, were gunned down at the YWAM offices. Two died, and their memorial services were held today.

Ironically, Shane and I had just placed an order for the set of biographies they publish, written about faithful saints that have gone before us. This ministry is dear to our hearts. They have a booth each year at our homeschooling convention, and their hearts for the Lord are so evident.

Last year at the convention, they gave us a copy of the biography about Gladys Alyward, and we spent weeks reading it to our children as their bedtime story. The story of her life impacted all of us so much that we bought the set for Christmas this year. (shhh....the kids don't know yet!)

I called headquarters in Colorado today, just to tell them how very sorry we are, and to let them know that there are brothers and sisters all over the world who love them, and are praying for them.

I spoke with a kind man whose heart is obviously so heavy right now. I told him that I too, have given my life to serve Christ, and that I know that often, as a footsoldier in the field, one can feel so alone. It's easy to forget that we're part of a huge army, when we're on post in our given area of the world.

So, I explained, "I just want you to know that you're NOT alone....and that there are so many people who are blessed by your work for the Kingdom, and that we're praying fervently for you and for each hurting family right now."

He was quiet for a minute and then said, "Thank you so much. With our type of ministry, being that we are spread out all over the world, it can be easy to feel alone. Thank you for the reminder that we aren't, and thank you for your prayers."

He then went on to tell me that YWAM Latvia also just lost their director. He died in his sleep. He was a husband, and father of 5, with a brand new grand-daughter. His life has been used by God to share the Good News with many, many people. You can read about him on the YWAM site, and you can also read about the lives of the young people who were hurt and killed.

Here is the link to YWAM if you'd like to read more...would you please keep these brothers and sisters in your prayers? I can only imagine how much they are hurting right now!http://www.ywam.org/articles/article.asp?AID=499

Also, please keep the family of the shooter in your prayers. Their last name is Murray. They've not only lost their son, but also are having to deal with the unbelievable pain of knowing how many people he hurt before he took his own life.

Thank you for taking a minute (or more) to stop and lift these fellow believers up before our Father. When you pray for them, would you pray God's Word back to Him on their behalf?
I believe He loves it when we do that.

This is the verse I'm praying for them, knowing that God is always faithful to His promises. This verse has held me through many a painful time in my life. I cherish it.

Psalm 34:18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.


In His Love,
Jesica


6 comments:

Janan Kash said...

I had not heard about this - it's tragic. It reminded me about the Bible study we did while I was in Arizona - about the cost of being a Christ follower. When I prayed for these families, I also thanked God that He gave you the heart to lift these people up.

Jes said...

Janan,

It really is so tragic. These were such young adults, sold out for God and seeking Him to serve Him with thier lives.

I thought also about the times in your kitchen a few years ago, listening to Jimmy tell me about all of his friends who were going to work with YWAM, and hoping that none of those hurt or killed were friends of his.

Love you,
Jes

Laura said...

My friend Sara in Colorado Springs is a member at New Life but had been lead by the Spirit not to attend on Sunday when their shootings happened. No one in her family was injured, (Praise God!) but she is fighting the fear of going to church ever again. She has also requested prayer for the family of the shooter, as she has such a heart for God even in the midst of their great tragedy.

I'd like to ask if you would pray for her as well as everyone at New Life... they've gone through so much this year and were just starting to heal.

Love you.

Jes said...

Laura,

Thank you for your comment. If she gives you permission to post her blog here, please let me know...what she wrote was so good, and echoes the thoughts of many, I'm sure.

Love you!
Me

D.L. White said...

It's a small world...I also have a friend who is a member of the church there. She said it has rocked them hard, and understandably so. Thanks for lifting them all up in prayer and for posting this blog to remind us to do the same.

Anonymous said...

That verse has brought me much comfort also. Lots of prayers being said!