Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Who to Vote For ?

Some of my PRECIOUS friends took me out to dinner for my birthday tonight, and we landed on the subject of the upcoming Arizona primary.

Every one of us at the table are sold out Christians. We love the Lord with all of our hearts. I just wanted to start by qualifying that.

As we were discussing who we would be casting our vote for in Tuesday's primary, it was amazing to hear how torn we were.

One of us was quite decided for Ron Paul.
One of us was going to vote for Mitt Romney, but qualified it by noting that she thought a vote for Romney was in essence a vote against McCain, and that a vote for anyone else would be a throw away vote anyway.
One of us didn't say who she was voting for....but probably because the rest of us were talking too much for her to get a word in edgewise.
Two of us are undecided...and the primary is only 4 days away!

I think with the exception of our Ron Paul girl, most of us were discouraged that there isn't more of a clear-cut answer right now.

I really am so confused.

The tough part is that we don't have television in our home. We have a tv for playing DVDs, but all cable and network tv is out. That's fine by me most of the time, but it puts us at a great disadvantage in an election year.

Shane spends almost 2 hours a day in the car, so he gets lots and lots of talk radio. He knows who he's voting for, but I have my suspicions that it may be a vote by default.

In truth, I know that I will vote for whomever my husband is voting for.

Not because I can't think for myself, or because I don't appreciate those who worked hard to make sure I have a right to vote, but because I have great respect for my husband's understanding of politics and government.

And, because we really do think the same on pretty much any issue that comes up. I think that's the beauty of being one flesh.

So, we will be in lots of prayer this weekend...seeking God on whom He would have us cast our votes for.

I would encourage you to do the same.
He cares about our votes...let's make them count to His glory.

In Him,
Jesica

2 comments:

Laura said...

I didn't mention last night that I'd never considered voting for this candidate until Dan brought it up. I have so much respect for his opinion, (he's such a thinker!) I knew there was a good reason for him to want to cast his vote this way.

One reason we have had a successful marriage is we have very similar values and so I wanted to know more about the candidate he had picked. That prompted me to do a lot of reading-up and I eventually came to the same decision as he did.

Although I know who I'll vote for on Tuesday, I don't have any idea what to do in November. However, a lot can change in six months!

Jes said...

Hey!

Listen, you can hear the band playing....

Laura is back! Laura is back!

:)

I've missed you on my blog! Yippie! Laura is back!

You know, I came home last night after our dinner (THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! IT WAS A BLAST! I LOVE YOU!!!!)and I did what I told you all in class on Monday night that I do when I'm confused.

I prayed and asked God to show me an answer about this from Scripture.

And you know what He laid on my heart...to study Judges and Kings. So, that's what I'm doing today and tomorrow. I'm reading through those two books.

Already, I have seen through His holy Word that He did not tolerate it when His covenant people turned from Him to serve idols and false Gods.

So, that confirms for me who I won't be casting my vote for.

I thought of Joshua and his words to the Israelites, "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)

Convicting. So many evangelicals are choosing a man based upon his "morality" (which, in truth, there is no true morality apart from Christ),(Romans 6) yet are dismissing the fact that this man does not serve the same Lord and Master that we do.

Joshua seemed pretty clear on that to me.

So..I gotta go study more.

I know the Lord will make it clear...I just wish He already had.

Love you!
Me