Pages

Friday, April 04, 2008

A Dinner Update


The Lord is so gracious, isn't He? When we choose to walk in obedience, He gives us the words and the courage to do what He's called us to do.

I wrote yesterday about my friend who is coming to visit, and about the dinner quandry.

Well, we had an opportunity to talk today and I just told the truth, and said that I wasn't comfortable going out on the company's dime, and that Shane and I are accountable to the Lord, so we have to make the decision that we believe He wants us to.

My friend was so kind, and explained that it's actually written into their expense account policy that if they travel for business and end up staying with a friend instead of renting a hotel room, that they have permission to take the friends to dinner. The way it was explained, it will end up actually saving the company $369 dollars per night if my friend stays here instead of renting a room. So, that's why the company writes this in.

I suppose that if I hadn't worked in the corporate world and had an expense account myself, I might question this, but once my friend explained it, my memory was jogged and I too remember having similar freedoms.

My friend actually said the words, "I promise you it's approved. I wouldn't jeopardize my job over a dinner."

So, I guess we are going after all. So, if you've placed reservations for our cookout, we'll have to postpone. :)

Recalling those fun perks of being a sales person for a fortune 500 company....

My favorite was when we had our sales meeting in Puerto Rico, and the company was treating the sales people to all kinds of fun activities for the weekend...deep sea fishing, wave riding in the ocean, etc.

I ended up working the whole weekend from my hotel room, because I had some really big deals that were on the verge of closing, and our sales meeting was during the work week, and I just didn't want to lose that crucial time.

When my deals closed, and the week came to an end, my boss came to me and said, "I want to pay for you to stay over for the weekend. (everyone else was leaving on Friday) You've worked hard, and missed out on a lot, and I have permission to do this for you."

Whooie!

As it turned out, I couldn't find a hotel room anywhere on that island. I called and called, but for some reason everything was booked for the weekend.

My boss ended up encouraging me to look at some of the surrounding islands, and so I got to spend 2 days all by myself in a private villa on St. Croix!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The place I stayed is called Villa Madeline. It's wonderful. They were featured in Architectual Digest, and at the time were considered a 5 star restaraunt.

I had my own swimming pool overlooking the ocean. The food was fantasic. I chartered a sail boat with a nice couple I met there and spent the day on the ocean. (My favorite!)

It was the most amazing place I've ever been!

OK...strike that, Alaska was the MOST amazing, but this ran a close second!

So, what's my point in all of this?

I guess it was just a sweet victory for me today. This friend of mine knew me when I was lost, lost, lost...a pathalogical liar and only out for self.

Today was a clear opportunity to let my Light shine, and I hope and pray that through the conversation we had, that God was glorified.

Better yet, I hope and pray that my friend will one day glorify my Father Who is in Heaven, too!

If you would, please pray for our weekend. I love this friend dearly, and want so much for them to know the Lord. It would mean the world to me to have the weekend bathed in prayer.

Pray until Monday night, ok?

:)

Thanks!

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a blessing to get to witness to your friend this way... and what a blessing God gives us when we do the right thing and step up for what He tells us is right.

Thanks for sharing this example of His reward for obedience. Sometimes it's hard to see these as confirmation from Him that He wants our heart in everything we do and say.

D.L. White said...

Thanks for sharing this real life application. Hope you had a great weekend!