Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Who is my "Crown of Exultation?" Who is yours?

I'm smack in the middle of preparation for the upcoming AZ Precept Leader Training.


(If you want details, please e-mail me and I'll give them to you. We're offering "Basics of Precept Upon Precept" for those new to inductive study, which will also qualify you to lead, and "Precept Leader Training" which is next on the leader track. Or, go to www.precept.org to find a training in your area.)
Oops...I launched into a marketing opportunity there, didn't I? ;)

Anyway....in preparing, I'm studying through 1st & 2nd Thessalonians.

Oh MY are these awesome books!

I was going to hop on here and tell you all about my son's 8th birthday, and how he chose to use it to give glory to God, but then really wanted to tell you some about the 1st & 2nd Thessalonians study....and what's so cool is that now I get to do both!

In 1st Thessalonians chapter 1, Paul (and Silvanus and Timothy) are writing to "the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

Paul tells them, in verses 2-4 "We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention {of you} in our prayers; constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father, knowing, brethren beloved by God, {His} choice of you;..."

(For those of you who are Precept students, did you see the list in those verses?)

Here's where it all ties in....

Caedmon had his 8th birthday party last Friday night.
I want to take a minute and tell you about this child...the Lord called Caedmon to Himself when he was 4. It was an amazing, dramatic story..and one I wouldn't have believed had I not seen it with my own eyes. (If you know me, you know I'm pretty conservative.)
He made a confession for Jesus Christ at that time, and has never backed down from it. He loves Jesus passionately, and is the only child I've ever known, personally, who can be verbally rebuked by God's Word, and thus often doesn't need anything more than that to correct him, or to make him return to walking in obedience.

Often times, if he is in disobedience, we'll tell him to go to his room and spend some time one on one with the Lord in prayer, and talk to God about his attitude. More often than not, he comes back in tears, with a repentant heart, and says, "Mommy. I talked to God, and I know I've been wrong. I told God I'd obey. Would you please forgive me?"

Oh man, this is what I want for my children more than anything else in the world...that they will know and fear and obey the Lord!
(While Caedmon isn't perfect, it is exciting to see him growing in the Lord, and maturing both physically and spiritually.)
Well, since Caedmon is now 8, he's at the age where he wanted to help plan his birthday party. We had a good time doing it, and I was blown away - by not only his choices, but his reasons behind them.




This is where the above verse comes in....as it makes me think of Caedmon, and how he is learning to stand for Jesus Christ, in the presence of our God and Father.


First we were choosing his cake. Now, admittedly, I'm not the big "theme party momma"...so it was nice that he's old enough to tell me what he wants. :)

He was very clear on the fact that he wanted a cake from Costco with the baseball theme that they offer. He loves butter-cream icing like I do, and Costco's cakes are the perfect fix. (See previous post for a good giggle.)



I told him that we needed to decide how to phrase the wording on his cake. I said, "Honey, do you want "Happy 8th Birthday Caedmon" on it?" I don't really know why I even asked him, as it seems a no-brainer to me, but I guess I was just trying to include him in all the decisions.



Check out what he chose, and then I'll give you the why:


"Caedmon Loves Jesus Christ"


When I asked him if he was sure that's what he wanted on his Birthday cake, he said, "Mommy, yes! This is a time to share Jesus with my friends!"


Oh......I wanted to kiss him all over his little face! But, he's 8 now, so that's not as "cool" as it once was! :)



When I called to order the cake, the woman on the other line was very gruff. That's the understatement of the day, actually!



Yet, when she asked me what I wanted the cake to say, and I told her what Caedmon had requested, she softened immediately and said, "Wow! Wow! ......Oh, WOW! That's so nice!"



The next thing we had to decide on was party favors, and Caedmon had his mind made up about this too...he wanted to give each of his friends a Lego "guy".



We couldn't find them locally, and Caedmon said that it was really important to him for his friends to have them, so we ordered them from Lego.com, and he said he'd forgo party decorations if he could have these in time for the party. (We had to make a choice between the 2, for $$ reasons, and this was his...)


Normally, I'm too tight to pay for such things, but look at the picture of what he chose, and then I'll tell you his "why", and mine too. :)





Caedmon wanted to be able to give his friends a Lego "soldier of the Lord." (He adapted Lego's soldier man to fit the description Paul gives us in Ephesians.) He was so excited to get to tell his friends about the full armor of God! (Ephesians 6:10-17)

Ephesians 6:10-17
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual {forces} of wickedness in the heavenly {places.} Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil {one.} And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

"But honey," I said, "There's no belt of Truth."

"MOM! It's under the breastplate of righteousness," he explained.


OOOH! I love this boy!

This boy, who is solely repsonsible for every gray hair on my head.


This boy, who brings me to tears with his detemination.


This boy, who often makes me want to scream, "NO MORE DEBATING!"

This boy, who tenders my heart when he says, "Mommy. Thank you for teaching me God's Word. I love you, Mommy. All the way to His mighty right hand!"



This boy, whom I believe with all of my heart that the LORD God will use (and already does use) to His great glory.



This boy....who sharpens me, and is my crown of exultation.



1Thessalonians 2:19
-20
For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation?



Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?


For you are our glory and joy.



"Thank you, dearest Father, for this boy for whom I prayed. I love him dearly, and thank you for all you're doing in his life."



Brennan's journey with the Lord is much different than Caedmon's. He's working in her heart too..I'll tell you about her another day. But, just for fun, here's a picture of her from his party. :)






Have a super day!

Jes























































































































































































































































































































No comments: