Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2006

And now about Reuben...

Hi again...

I've been really sick this week...crazy sick. So, I guess this post should be "what I learned from the Word over the past 7 days"...since I've missed so many. ;)

The kids and I are still studying in Genesis 37. I'm SO excited, because I'm about to start leading a Precept study for children..so far we have 9 who want to take it...we'll start in Genesis 1 and go through a Precept kids study that focuses on Creation.

I'm SO excited!

I wish so much that I had learned as a child how to study the Word..how to interrogate the text...so that it wouldn't have been head knowledge, but heart knowledge.

Please pray with me that these kiddos will fall in love with God's Word, and with Him.

OK...so what I learned today...I don't think I ever realized that Reuben wasn't part of the scheme to kill Joseph...but clearly he wasn't.

We were reading today about how Reuben tore his clothes when he realized that Joseph wasn't in the pit, because he thought Joseph was dead, and his plan had been to wait until the other brothers were gone, and then to save Joseph and return him to his father.

Then later, Jacob did the same thing (tore his clothers) when the other brothers presented Joseph's torn tunic to him.

I know I'm skipping around a bit here, but I only have a few minutes, so forgive me... The other thing that was interesting to me was that the Bible is very specific in saying that the brothers slaughtered a male goat in order to get the blood to smear on the tunic. I'm anxious to see if there is some significance to the fact that it was a male goat. ( stay tuned )

My son asked me why both Reuben and Jacob tore their clothes, and he also wanted to know what the significance of sackcloth and ashes was...so we're going to do some research on that also. (stay tuned)

The children were amazed by the fact that Joseph's brothers would stand right in their fathers' face and lie to him, all the while knowing that Joseph wasn't dead.

It made me think about all of the times that I did the same...with God. For so many years, prior to coming to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I thought that I was saved...but my life was such a mockery.

I had more "bible doctrine" in my head than almost anyone that I knew, but the truth of God's love and forgiveness, and His requirement for obedience had never penetrated my heart.

OOOOOH! What a day that was...when my heart was penetrated by the Truth of how very HOLY God is! It was June 11,1999...the only birthday that even matters to me anymore. :)

It was the day that I received new life...and I was forever changed.

But before that day, I too would stand and lie and lie and lie to my Father...the only difference was, I now know from Scripture that He wasn't really mine yet...because the Word makes it clear that "no man cometh unto the Father but by Me" ( that's Jesus speaking).

In verse 29, Reuben returns to the pit to find that Joseph wasn't there, and realizes that his plans to save him are now void. In verse 30, I can just sense his desperation as he returns to his brothers ( who obviously lie to him too) and says, "The boy is not there; as for me, where am I to go?"

Reading this today made me think of when Mary Magdalene and John and Peter went to Jesus' tomb...and found his body gone. How sad they must have been...they probably didn't know where to go next, either.

They just didn't realize yet...that his resurrection was what would be required for them, for us, to walk in newness of life.

It's by His death that we are forgiven, but by His life that we are saved.

It's because of His resurrection that we can walk in newness of life.

Praise God!

I think we'll see, as we study Genesis, that it's because of Joseph's being sold into slavery that the family of Israel was saved from death.
(keep staying tuned) :)

How many times do things happen in our lives that we don't understand?

I know that I've just been through a very painful one...one that truly could break me if I hadn't chosen to trust God completely...to cling to His Sovereignty...and to know that even though I can't see the outcome..He can...and that He won't allow anything to happen in my life today, unless He knows that He can be glorified through it.

I'm going to begin asking Him to do for me what He did for Joseph..to use this heartbreak to heal those I love who are most in need of His love and forgiveness. To restore that which is broken...but only if He can get the glory out of it...only if every knee will bow before Him.

God has been so gracious to us...I've seen Him heal hurts over the past 8 years, that I never thought would be healed. And, guess Who is getting the glory for it today? ;) That's right...Him!

If there is a hurt in your life that you can't imagine could ever be healed...please, go to God and ask Him to take it. Ask Him to give you forgiveness where needed, and to carry the burden of pain that you've been carrying. Ask Him to give you strength through the time that He is working in the life of the others involved. Ask Him to pierce their hearts with their need for Him, and His Son, Jesus.

He loves you beyond your imagination. Nothing can separate you from the love of God...nothing...once you've repented of your sin and surrendered your life to the lordship of His Son, Jesus....nothing!

If you don't know Jesus personally, and want to...please feel free to
e-mail me and ask me any questions about Him that you might have.

If you want to walk in freedom, He's the only way to do that.

In His Amazing Love,
Jes

No comments: