Pages

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Copied Comments for Our First Week of Study & Our Discussion

Hi Ladies,


I'm copying the comments that have been left for our study group thus far, as I'm not sure if you all are reading the comments or not. From this point forward, please do. I won't be posting them like this every time, as it takes a loooooooooooooooooong time to do so. 


There is one question below that is underlined. It's from Leta. This is a question I'd like you all to weigh in on. What do you see from the Word? Please support your answers with Scripture references.


Chaundra...thank you so much for being so transparent. I'm praying for you, sweetie! I think you should come to Chattanooga this weekend and go to our ladies Christmas event with me, and spend Friday night here.


Whaddya think? Also...are any of your other friends, other than Rachel, joining us?


Leta Lou...I love you! Thanks for loving me like only a true friend can. 


Dawn, Rachel, Deb...where are you all in the study?


Love y'all!
Jes



 chaundra Anderson said...
I am so enjoying the first few days. Today i am seeing how the Word MUST concern us. We need to have a tender heart towards His Word. But first we need to HEAR His Word. Love it Jes! So interesting to me that the Word was lost in the House of the Lord. Moving around I've seen some churches that were in the same boat! I'm so grateful to be a part of a body that is feeding me right now. I pray that our love for His Word would deepen through this study. And by the power of His Holy Spirit


Jes: Amen, sister!



chaundra Anderson said...
I love the study so far. I was deeply moved when she asked what made us want to do the study. I just want to KNOW God. I want intimacy and authenticity. I want His Word to cleanse, renew, and heal me. Thanks so much for facilitating this Jes. 


Jes: Chaundra, it's my joy to do this! Learning what my spiritual gift is was such an awesome treat from the Lord! Now I just want to employ it to His glory, for the women of the body of Christ. :) 


YOU encourage me and make me want to do the best job possible! Thank you for that!



 Leta lou said...


I finally have my computer and Bible study together to make a comment or two but first I must thank you sweet friend for encouraging us all to embark on this study – it’s a different way of doing it but I like the fact that I’m a little more independent – not relying on someone else to tell me the answer in a group setting. Thank you for following God’s leading in this new approach.


Jes: When I finally realized that it's not my job as a leader to tell students the answers, but rather to teach them how to dig them out for themselves, it was a defining moment for me.


There will no doubt be times where I'll break out into some teaching during this study, but my deepest heart desire is that you all will learn to become independent...just as you said. :)


And as far as leading the study...I just wanted to finally be in one with you, 
Leta Lou! ;)  I love you so!

So here’s the comments I have after the first week – I was trucking along – digging into knowing Josiah. I like how Kay took us straight to the scripture before teaching us the “how to” – it just came so easily! At one point I wrote a “thank you God for those un-named heroes that guided this child! In His way – and then I turned the page and read about Zephaniah! God you are always amazing!



Jes: How cool that you had that thought! I love that!

But then I hit a bump! – page 36 – she asks when was this wrath, this evil going to come – and then frustrates me more by saying this is important! All I could glean was that the responses God gave were present tense – “My wrath burns against this place” Is that what she’s asking – if so what exactly makes that particularly important?



Jes: Before I weigh in, please see Chaundra's answer below. Do any of the rest of you have a thought on Leta's question?

And then I have another comment re the first week’s study – verse 19 – because Josiah did all these things – God says He “truly” heard Josiah. He truly heard him??? - - - vs sorta hearing him??? Does that mean there are degrees of Him hearing us – I know in my heart that is not true – but it bothers me – that little word “truly”. Why is it there?? How does the word “truly”, truly translate?



Jes: Aha! Good question. Did you look at it in the King James? That's the first place I always go. I love having the King James Version either on my phone or in my lap when I'm studying. Seeing it in the KJV often brings such clarity.


If I find that the words are the same, I know it's time to do a word study.


Have you done that yet?


If so, would you please share with us what you found?

And lastly – re our timing - It doesn't matter at all to me re extending the time line - whatever works best for you. I don’t want you to overburden yourself – you couldn’t possibly have anticipated all that’s going on for you right now, when you chose these dates.
I’m sure I speak for all that grace abounds for you as you recover from this Major Major life changing procedure! Thank you for keeping us in the loop – it helps us all to know how to specifically pray for you.



Jes: Thank you so much sweetie! I think it's going to work out for everyone now. 


Just waiting to hear from Dawn, Deb and Rachel to see if they have their books and are ready to roll now. 

Love you sweet friend!

Jes: Love you more! :)







chaundra Anderson said...


Hi Leta Lou, I'm Chaundra! I wanted to share with you what i thought about the question of when the wrath would happen, and I thought it was, not in Josiah's lifetime. Maybe the timing was important to notice, because the Lord kept Josiah from experiencing it??

I love the study for bringing to my attention the importance of God's Word. I love breaking the scripture down. Not to fill my brain with facts, but to know God better. I love how she uses God's Word to interpret and explain God's Word. I'm glad there isn't a lot of "fluff" like you find in other women's bible studies. This is my first Kay Arthur study ever.



Jes: I'm so glad that you pointed that out! That's what you can always expect from a Precept study...all of the authors will point you to the truth that Scripture interprets Scripture.


 It's so, so fun when you really get a grasp on how this works because when you're stumped by something you read in the Word, you can just go before the Lord and tell Him you know that His Word will interpret Itself, but that you need His Spirit to give you understanding.


He is so faithful, and I think He must rejoice in watching us when He answers those prayers and we have our "ah-ha" moments! :)
I am hoping my book gets here soon. I ordered some other curriculum and got it two days ago. :(

Love you!



Jes: I love you too, you sweet thing! And I'm SO loving seeing you so excited about the Word!




chaundra Anderson said...

hi everyone, i am so excited about these questions, as they are SO applicable to a journey that i have recently taken, in finding a church to attend. actually we had to do that twice in the last year, because we moved to two different states. in my search i have been SHoCKED by the "seeker friendliness" and the "flashy hooks to keep 'em coming" of some churches. i have been saddened to be unable to hear a pastor actally feeding and nourishing the body. i have been confused by labels, doctrine, and denominations. but in all of this God was so faithful.

Jes: We lived the same journey in AZ. I know what you mean...and then to move to the South where one can so easily be categorized by their denomination! When I went to the hospital a few days ago for my first sonogram of my legs, I had to fill in an area about where I go to church. I guess I didn't have to, but I chose to after they explained that by filling that out, my friends from church could find me if I was in the hospital and they wanted to visit me.
However, the blank above had asked for my religion, and I had written, "Sold out follower of Jesus Christ."
When I went back to the hospital for sonogram #2 a few days later and had to proof my information sheet, where it said "religion" they had typed in "Baptist."
I explained to them that I'm not a Baptist, although I do go to a Baptist church. I said I am a Christ follower, and no matter what church I go to I will always be a Christ follower.
The lady was super sweet and said, "Well, we don't have that as an option. Should I just put Christian?"
"Yes," I said. "That will be fine."
Although inside I was thinking that the word Christian has lost it's meaning in our society, which is why I wanted Christ follower in the first place. 

i am now absolutely in love with the church we are at. an hour of sunday school with verse by verse teaching, shared prayer requests, sharing of meals (once a month), and in depth discussion. the children experiencing much the same thing in their classes.
Jes: What an awesome blessing! I'm so happy for you! 
an hour and a half of worship, sweet worship... but nothing really flashy. our children starting at age five sit with us in church. and they are learning and growing in ways that i would have NEVER given them credit for. i was terrified of this, because i was raised mormon, and i hated church because it was long and boring. i would actually hide in the bathroom for as long as i could. but they aren't bored... well, not the whole time! lol.
Jes: I didn't know you were raised Mormon. I'd really like to talk with you about that some time. Isn't is wonderful to see our kids growing in Christ through His Word?! I love having my kids in service with me...I wouldn't change it for the world!

the Word is anything but watered down, and the grace of God is always the last word of every sermon. The good news of Jesus.

For the first time in my life i am ready and willing to commit myself wholly to this body. to stop "dating the church" as they say, and become a "member". it's all been amazing.

at home we are doing a study together called "Big Truths for Young Hearts" and i love love love it! even shade, (my second oldest daughter) is getting a ton out of it. and she has a tendency to daydream. and what is even more exciting is she says stuff like "oh yeah, we talked about that in church, it's callled the trinity." oh... i am feeling so blessed.

but now for the not so great news. lol. the ways that i could respond to God's word like Josiah did... tearing down my false idols, and desiring to obey every word... would be to completely change in my marriage. i am the chiefest of all sinners friends. i sin in my pride, my need for control, my fears of trust. i feel literally physically bound by my sins. i feel a prisoner. i feel tormented. i am not passing on the responsibilty... but boy... am i feeliing helpless and sometimes even hopeless. yesterday was a bad one. i even forgot to or purposely neglected to cry out to God. to turn my thoughts toward Jesus. friends, please pray for me.

i look so forward to hearing your responses. i am glade we are "behind" my book didn't arrive until a few days ago, and i was scrambling to catch up, and i felt like i wasn't getting to really absorb the information.

i am lifting you up in prayer jes. i am so grateful for you facilitating this. thank you! and now that i have all your names, i will be lifting you all up as well. i am excited to take this journey with you! Soli Deo Gloria

Jes: Dearest Father, how we need You Lord...more and more and more of You. I know that we have all of You the moment that we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, yet our hearts yearn to know you more Lord.
We are seeing that this comes from knowing Your Word, and being taught by Your Spirit.
Father, won't you bind anything that keeps us from You? Our pride, our sin, our fears, our selfishness. Anything and everything, Lord.
Jesus we know that our roles as women are to be wives and mothers who are walking by Your Spirit...who are keeping our homes...who are honoring to our husbands.
It's tough, Lord. So tough sometimes. Our flesh fights...it wages war, Lord.
I hear Chaundra, loud and clear Lord Jesus.
You know that even tonight I was in a deep struggle. I battle Lord, with this deeply ingrained fear that I will either stick my nose in where it's not needed when it comes to how my husband parents our children, or that I'll keep quiet when I should speak up.
This struggle between dishonoring one or making the other feel that I don't care.
Thank you God that You made self control part of the fruit of the Spirit! Thank You that I can trust You...I can cry out to You...even when I want to lose it completely, I can take You at Your word and can value my husband and my marriage as the gifts from You that they are!
I lift my sister and her marriage up to You Lord. Please give her the courage to trust You, and to allow You to be glorified in her relationship with her beloved.
Glorify...in the Greek it means to give a right estimate of...Lord, help us to give a correct estimation, a correct representation of Who You are..through our lives and through our marriages.
We love You Lord!
In Jesus' Name,
By the power of Your Indwelling Holy Spirit,
and to Your Glory we pray...
Amen

















1 comment:

chaundra Anderson said...

Amen.

Thank you for taking the time to do all of that. I hope God puts someone in your path to help with the videos.

I laughed at your story of what religion you are. It really hit home for me. Denominations and labels almost kept me from choosing the church, that I now love. It's been a very interesting journey. I am beginning to see the importance of doctrine. But I hate being bound by it. God can't be "explained" to me in five different points. :) Maybe I'm just not smart enough. Lol.

How was your ladies event? That wouldve been great to go. You really aren't all that far away.