Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

A Song of Praise ...

As I've been thinking about my friends the Hinkefents today, this song has been on my heart.

It's funny, when I was brand new believer, all I wanted to listen to was contemporary Christian music. I still love a lot of it today, but I find that the longer that I walk with the Lord, the more I am drawn back to the hymns that I used to hear my mother and grandmother sing in praise to the Lord. One of my favorite memories is of my mom singing, "Oh, How I Love Jesus!".

The doctrine in these hymns is so strong..they are written from precepts that come straight from God's Word. 

This one is wonderful! If you want to hear the melody, click the link below and you'll be able to listen to it. 

But, take a minute and just soak in the truth of the words...I love where the author says he found the inspiration for this amazing hymn.

Singing this as a prayer for the Hinkefents today...

Thomas O. Chisolm wrote this hymn in 1923. CyberHymnal.org says, "According to Chisholm, there were no special circumstances which caused its writing—just his experience and Bible truth. 

Here are the words to this precious hymn. I can remember hearing my sweet grandmother singing these words...oh, how she loved the Lord and His Word!





Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.


Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.


Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!



1 comment:

Marilena said...

That is one of my favorite hymns... There is nothing like the old hymns and the stories behind the writing of them! So powerful and full of meaning!